Saint Raymond Academy for Girls, part of the St. Raymond educational outreach, is a Catholic high school for girls located in the Parkchester section of the Bronx with approximately 375 students in grades 9-12. These girls, representing a variety of New York City neighborhoods and a mosaic of cultures, are encouraged to reach their God-given potential in a safe, supportive and diverse environment.
St. Raymond Academy for Girls began in September 1960 as a small, parish-based high school with an enrollment of 95 students. Msgr. John Corrigan, the pastor at the time, appointed Sr. Regina Angela, a Sister of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul of NY, as the first principal. The school occupied the third floor of the school building built in 1952 and through the years has prided itself on serving a relatively small school population. Inorder to better meet its educational goals, the school was recognized with a NYS Board of Regents Charter in 1965 and with an additional accreditiation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools in May 2003 and recently renewed.
The Sisters of Charity were joined through the years by the Sisters of St. Dominic Blauvelt and Sparkill, the Sisters of Mercy, Sisters of the Holy Child and lay women and men. The student population has grown to nearly 375 students.
In September 2007, 14 classrooms and 2 science laboratories welcomed the school community to its newlly refurbished Academy located at 1725 Castle Hill Avenue!
Presently, the school administration and staff occupy the offices on the first floor and students utilize the Library/Media Center and Computer Lab equipped with SmartBoard technology.
In its more than 50 years of existance, Saint Raymond Academy for Girls continues to educate the New York City community with a 100% acceptance rate into colleges and universities. The Academy is undying in its commitment to providing a strong Catholic education to young women and it hopes to continue this for many years to come.